It is the end of the month and I love statistics! Here’s how my habit goals are going, as of the morning of January 31, 2016.
Number of days tracking habit goals: 398!
- Days lifted some weights on purpose: 17 (11% of goal of 160 by the end of the year )
- Days taken a walk on purpose: 14 (7% of goal of 200)
- Days eaten at least one green vegetable: 27 (8% of goal of 355)
- Days taken my Vitamin D: 19 (5% of goal of 355)
- Days finished my food for the day by 8pm: 17 (8% of goal of 255 by the end of the year)
- Days no TV shows started after 9pm: 27 (11% of goal of 250)
- Days in bed by 10pm: 21 (8% of goal of 250)
- Days named something I love or appreciate about myself: 30 (8% of goal of 350)
- Days named something I feel grateful for: 30 (8% of goal of 350)
- Dates with my husband: 1 (10% of goal of 10)
- Days said or did something nice for my husband on purpose: 15 (6% of goal of 250)
- Days deposited at least $10 into my family’s emergency fund: 2 (4% of goal of 50)
- Days made a pot of rice and beans: 1 (2% of goal of 45)
- Days did some cleaning on purpose: 10 (20% of goal of 50)
- Objects gotten rid of: 40 (8% of goal of 500)
Reflections on these numbers
I am doing so many of my habits really well! We are 8% of the way through 2016, so any habit where I did at least 8% is a habit that is on target or better. That means I am kicking ass and taking names at: lifting weights, eating green vegetables, finishing my food early enough in the day that I can sleep well-ish, not turning on the TV after 9pm, getting to bed by 10pm, naming things I love/appreciate about myself, naming things I feel grateful for, dates with my husband, cleaning my house sometimes, and getting rid of things that don’t spark joy.
I’m even going to say I am kicking ass at taking walks, even though I am only 7% of the way to that goal. It’s January in New England! I expected January to be a less productive month in the walking department. Last year we had tons of snow, but this year we haven’t so I have been able to take some walks. I’ve been working it into my schedule by taking a long lunch and walking at a nearby park on days I work if the weather has been nice enough (the walking track there is paved).
I need to find a “habit trigger” for taking my Vitamin D. It is such an easy thing to do and the only thing that is keeping me from doing it more is that I forget. So I need a trigger such as “take Vitamin D at breakfast” or “take Vitamin D with ice cream” or something like that. The issue is….sometimes I eat my breakfast in a rush, and I don’t eat ice cream every day. I’ll need to give some thought to a good “habit trigger” for this.
As for the habits where I am a little behind, I’m not worried about them. I’ve had extra responsibilities and expenses this month due my husband still not being able to drive after his injury. Given that, I think I should be proud of myself for doing well in the essential areas, and not worry about the things I’ve done less of due to prioritizing and triage.
Wondering how I figured out these habit goals? I wrote a series of posts about my process. You can start here.
Wondering how I did in 2015, and what effects I’ve noticed? Here’s the report.
Like this blog?
You can follow via email (on the right side of the screen if you are viewing on a desktop, or closer to the bottom (after the comments) if you are mobile.
You can also follow me on Facebook.